Friday, April 9, 2010

Overload

This past week was full of crazy ups and downs in terms of ultimate news.

I went to the doctor on Monday and had him check out my ankle. He told me that it looks like it's healing well, and that I could stop wearing my giant protective boot. That was great news, and I scheduled physical therapy for the next day. Walking around with nothing on my foot feels totally exposed and weird, but I love it. Each step of my recovery makes me totally happy, which makes the whole process seem shorter and more bearable.

Wednesday, the final UPA rankings came out. We jumped up to #17, and earned the third bid to nationals!! I guess we jumped because results where teams had ineligible rosters got discounted, but I have my suspicions about the whole process. Hopefully it will work better in future years. I've heard bad stories about teams changing their rosters exclude players who quit and having their results disqualified. Huh? Anyway, the third bid is exciting and motivating for me to get healthy as soon as I can.

Finally, yesterday I found out that Strike-Slip is no more. Some people decided that they wanted to play co-ed, and the captains thought that we wouldn't be able to get the quality of team that they had signed up to captain. And like that, LA ultimate fell apart. Now we have 3 good co-ed teams, but no good open team. I was super bummed out by this because part of my motivation in rehabbing was to get back and play during the club season with Strike-Slip. Now I have no idea what I'm going to do this summer.

The one bright spot from all this: LA Open gets a new name.

Sam already wrote his opinion on the recent developments in LA ultimate, and for the most part I agree with him. I'm planning on writing a post later on the ordeal, both to inform and to sort out my thoughts on the matter.

I'm about to ride my new bike to PT. It's sunny and 70 degrees outside. Sectionals are tomorrow.

Things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment