Monday, February 22, 2010

Ankle Injury


In our last game at Prez Day, I rolled my ankle awkwardly landing on someone's foot. A few points later, I was making a cut and I heard a "pop" in my ankle. I went down, and it was pretty clear that I had done something really bad.

The next day I noticed that the tendons on the side of my ankle popped out of place very painfully when I everted my foot. I went to the doctor, and he thinks i tore the peroneal retinaculum in my ankle that holds down the peroneal tendons.

I had an MRI on Wednesday, but I'm still waiting for the doctor to get back to me with the results. For now, I have a lower leg cast on and it sounds like the chances of it healing on its own without surgery are about 50%. I'm also hoping that there was no tendon damage either, which would make it more severe.

I have my fingers crossed, and I'm trying to stay optimistic about it. I'm super bummed that I'm going to be missing most, if not all, of Smaug's season. Right now I'm just trying to deal with basic problems like getting myself to school, getting disabled parking, switching cars with someone in my family (so I dont have to drive my stick). I've always relied on my bicycle to get me everywhere at school, and now I have to sit and watch my new bike gather dust after getting to use it for about three days.

I'm hoping that the doctor will call tomorrow, but not during my mid-term that I should be studying for right now. Regardless, I'm going to have a long rehab ahead of me, and the possibility of surgery if it doesn't work. A part of me just wants to have the surgery and avoid the possibility of spending 3 total months in a cast instead of 4-6 weeks, but I suppose it's best to avoid cutting if possible. It's all speculation anyway until I know the results of the MRI.

Anyway, I'm going to try to keep leading Smaug as best as I can from the sidelines, starting by going to all our practices this week. All of this news really bums me out, so let me focus on the bright side of my injury for a moment:

  • I get a disabled parking placard, which apparently allows you to park at meters for free. How baller is that?
  • I can focus more on school now that I'm not focusing on improving myself as a player. This is a good (and needed) thing.
  • I got to see Andrew Bird last night in Bovard at USC. FO FREE.
  • There's an awesome black fixie waiting to be ridden as soon as I'm rehabbed enough.
  • I have an excuse to sit around on my ass and watch nature documentaries on Netflix.
  • Finally, and most importantly, I'm very grateful for my friends, family and girlfriend that have done a ton to help me out during the past week. I really appreciate everyone that's offered me help, rides, notes, etc. Thank you!
Anyway, this injury has led to bit of an identity crisis in my life. For a full week, I did nothing Smaug or ultimate related with my days. I've always identified myself as an ultimate player who happens to be doing other things with my life. Without a team and season to focus on, where should I put my attention and energy? Smaug can still use my help, true, but in reality my role on the team is much smaller now. If I'm not playing, I'm just another assistant coach, and if there's anything Smaug doesn't need more of, it's opinions.

Anyway, I'll keep updating the blog with news about my ankle, Smaug, the upcoming club season, and whatever else in my life needs talking about.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that really sucks. Im sorry to hear it; I hope the doctor's prognosis is a good one. See you (on the sidelines) this weekend.

    _pumba

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Without a team and season to focus on, where should I put my attention and energy?" ... Remember that thing called law school that you are enrolled in? Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete