Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sectionals Preview

Pools have finally been posted. No guarantee that they'll stay the same, but seeing as to how it's Wednesday already, I'll go ahead and give a few thoughts:

Pool B:
Strike Slip
Condors
Old Men from the Sea
Las Vegas
Santa Barbarians
Claremont
Ghettobirds

Interesting that they went with 2 big pools instead of lots of pools and a bunch of bracket play. I guess we'll have a lot of short games and lots of down time between games. It's can be a tough to keep focused playing a schedule like that.

Street Gang is the #1 seed overall, no surprise there. I am a little surprised to see that we got the first spot in our pool over Condors after our scrimmage last weekend, but I don't think it really makes a difference either way, other than that we get to stay on the same field for all our games.


We have three consecutive games, a bye, and then our big match up of the day against Condors. I don't have much to say about this game. We will have to be mentally tough to pull out another win.


The seeding for the teams outside the top four is pretty arbitrary. Most of the teams are college guys (that aren't playing club) or pick-up kind of teams. Old Men from the Sea are a some older Long Beach guys, I think. I know I've played them somewhere or other, but I don't remember exactly where. Las Vegas, Santa Barbara and Claremont should be quick games.


The only other thing that I'm excited to see on our schedule is that we're in the same pool as the Ghettobirds. I love playing the Birds. It's my old team and I love seeing them get better. I'm glad that they're playing Open this year instead of Mixed; it's a sign that they're taking more steps to get better. Hopefully they can get enough people out on Saturday to play a game - last year it was an issue.


That being said, we should bagel them. The game might last 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment