Thursday, May 14, 2009

School's Out for Summer

Law school finals are new kind of horrible that I've learned to deal with. The whole semesters grade rides on your ability to sit and analyze a ridiculous problem for 4 hours within the framework of the class. Each one is about 4 days apart, so you have time to study but there's not much structure to your life during that time. I'm definitely feeling burned out and lazy. Now that I'm done, I've been floating around Westwood kind of aimlessly. I really miss regular team practices, and it's been forever since I've played real ultimate. At least Saturday I'm leaving to visit my sister in Prague with the family. Maybe I'll feel rejuvenated after getting out of the country for a while.

The downside is that I'm leaving in the middle of the new LA team's try-outs. I can still go with them to Cal States later this month, but I'm a bit worried about keeping up my fitness and touch while I'm sightseeing in Prague. I've already emailed a team there and they said I could attend one of their practices, so I'm pretty excited about that, but it will be tough to fly around the world and come back and play high level ultimate.

One more topic of complaint: Strike-Slip? That's the name of the new LA Open team. It sounds like paper-work you have to fill out as part of a union. A team name should should be funny, intimidating, cool-sounding, clever, etc. But confusing? That's proabably not the quality that you should go for. I had to wikipedia it to find out that it's a type of fault line. Appropriate, but should your team name really have to have a dash in it? Like most ridiculous names, the team itself will create its own meaning for the name in the long run, but right now, I'm not sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment