Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Third Club Regionals

So we lost in the the backdoor game to go to nationals to San Diego, finishing 3rd in the region. I feel very split about the weekend, because we pulled out close wins in 5 of our 7 games, and we made it as far as I thought we would make it. We showed great heart along the way, and we had some pretty clutch wins.

On the other hand, we didn't put of that great of a fight in the game to go. Even though it doesn't seem likely that we could have overcome San Diego's talent, I still feel regretful about how we did. I felt the game slipping away from us the entire time, and I felt like there must have been something we could have done.

Playing with Strike Slip on the whole was a great experience. We went full circle from overconfident, to beaten down, and built back up to confidence. Winning sectionals was a huge accomplishment for us. We showed people that LA Open is back on the map.

Congratulations to the TWO LA co-ed teams that got bids to natties this past weekend (I wish San Diego decided they didn't feel like going to nationals after beating us!). That's a huge accomplishment and it shows the talent that our college programs are developing, and the increasing dedication to high level ultimate in LA.

Anyway, it's time to transition back to my last season of college. We're still getting about 100 people out to our rookie practices, and it's a crazy transition to go from club regionals on Sunday to teaching what a mark is on Monday.

I'm still recovering from the weekend, and I might want to give my body and mind just a little time off from ultimate and make sure I'm focused on school enough before I jump into the college season. We have lots of rookie tournaments coming up and it's going to be a grind, but at least a fun, silly kind of grind.

First A team practice of the year tonight. We'll see what we've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment